Wednesday, 16 November 2011

She's gone...



My gorgeous old dog died today, aged 17 years and 8 months. Mind you, she wasn't always a gentle old lady - she was a right thug in her youth, picking fights with other dogs and defending her lord and master (my husband) to the death. Her favourite things were digging and chewing roots.

Yesterday, it was obvious that she was nearing the end. She has had dementia for four years, which she has borne with great courage and patience. In the last few days she had lost the capacity to eat, though she could still lap liquids. She was completely peaceful so it had been tempting to keep her with me just one more day, one more week, but I knew that she was ready to go. In the afternoon, I took her up to our favourite forest path, aiming to carry her along. We did mainly go along in that fashion but at one point she asked to get down and wandered off up the path for a short while. I took a picture of her and I am glad I did because it seemed to capture the mood of today - my little dog setting off on some unknown journey along a long woodland path.


She has been the best companion I could have wished for these last 6 years and I am going to miss her dreadfully. Sweet dreams Gem.

5 comments:

Coffeecup said...

Oh Puddock, this is truly sad news. What a touching and beautiful tribute to Gem. I am so sorry she's gone. I do sympathise so much with how you must feel on losing your treasured friend. I pray my own dog will live as long because I can't bear to part with her. Those moving photos of Gem break my heart. Take comfort that she had a long and wonderful life with you. I know how much you will miss her. So very sad.

x

Puddock said...

Thanks Steph. She did have a great life, with a lot of fun and laughs along the way.
And it doesn't hurt so much tonight because she had such a gentle death. The vet was absolutely wonderful, gave us time and explained everything. Gem just slept away, deeper and deeper and her slipping into death was almost imperceptible.
Sending you and your doggy big hugs (())

Phoenix Fire Falconry said...

My deepest sympathy to you! I have loved dearly several dogs and cats, and sent three of them into restful death by my own hand, due to advanced years and disease, rendering their lives difficult and painful. They give so much, yet ask so little of us. May your memories make the hole in your life that much smaller.

Puddock said...

Thank you so much Phoenix. She was so woven into my life, I miss her in ways I could not have predicted. Silly things like the fact that every morning for the last seventeen years, I have had to prepare her food and water bowls, and then tripped over them throughout the day, spilling water everywhere (and cursing!) Now, the kitchen is clean and dry and I long for the puddles of water.
Lots of happy memories though, and I intend to write another post soon, describing what she taught me over the years, especially as an old dog.

Selma said...

I am so sorry to hear she is gone. She was a little darling. Sending you all my love. How beautiful she was .....