Tuesday, 10 March 2009

All Around My Hat...

I have finally given in and accepted that I am middle-aged and gone out and bought a hat.

Not a glamorous feathers-and-froth wedding hat but a sensible, waxed cotton, keep-your-head-warm-whatever-you-look-like hat.



And, do you know, I'm already in love with it. I wore it to walk the dog yesterday and was completely snug in the cold wind. I fully expect to be signing up for a Saga tour, buying one of those cosy foot warmers, and ditching the frothy nightwear in favour of red flannel any day now.

The mad thing is that I don't mind. Could it possibly be that I am growing old gracefully?

5 comments:

Coffeecup said...

Hi Puddock, this hat, oh my, it's pretty neat! Quite the rural gentry thing I think. Now if you'd gone and bought one of those tea cosy affairs I might have agreed with you, and as for growing old? No, surely not! If you must then do it disgracefully. I think with age we at least earn the right to wear what we darn well please ;-)

Selma said...

I love that hat. It is fabulous. I am a big hat person from way back. Of course, in Australia one really should wear a hat in summer, but I wear them all the time. I used to have a bowler hat but the rim split. I miss that hat. Made me feel posh.

Puddock said...

A bowler hat! Go Selma! That takes pzazz to do.

My hat is more of a mad old scarecrow kind of thing (it is a bit rural gentry, Steph, but definitely shabby rural gentry!) And you are right - dressing to please ourselves is one of the pleasures of getting older. Jenny Joseph talked in her poem about wearing purple as her old age rebellion - I think that's a bit tame, and I intend to be a lot battier!

reeflightning said...

go puddock! i had the most marvelous straw cowboy hat which i used to wear while gardening ... man, i loved that hat.
btw how to i get to be an invited reader?

G Eagle Esq said...

Mdm Puddock

Yes, if your fingers are cold, put on a hat - most heat loss seems to be from the Head

..... but just promise us that you'll nae buy Green Wellies to go with your Rural Gentry image

Yr obedt servant etc

G E