Monday, 8 December 2008

Trivia

I've been preparing some more books for selling and came across a fab little book which I bet no-one out there has heard of but which is packed with witty aphorisms, and I just had to share some of them with you. The book is called All Trivia by Logan Pearsall Smith. Have a read at these -

People say that Life is the thing, but I prefer Reading.

I can't forgive my friends for dying; I don't find these vanishing acts of theirs at all amusing.

What's more enchanting than the voices of young people when you can't hear what they say?

and this one strikes a horribly familiar note...

Edification: 'I must really improve my Mind,' I tell myself, and once more begin to patch and repair that crazy structure. So I toil and toil on at the vain task of edification, though the wind tears off the tiles, the floors give way, the ceilings fall, strange birds build untidy nests in the rafters, and owls hoot and laugh in the tumbling chimneys.

I'd like to give you more examples of this forgotten writer's gems, but I need to go; I can hear avian giggling and chortling coming from somewhere and I must go and investigate...

3 comments:

Selma said...

Oh, how true it is about the nature of edification. The garden doesn't weed itself. I have learnt that the hard way. Brilliant book!

azahar said...

Good ones.

I came across a quote by Garry Trudeau today that I quite liked...

"I've been trying for some time to develop a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence."

azahar said...

ps

it's your turn...