Monday, 29 December 2008

Sooooo Cold...



Greetings fellow bloggers, and a belated happy Christmas to you all. In the true spirit of schadenfreude, I thought you might like to hear about my latest woes - might cheer you up.

Christmas was pleasant and uneventful. We were pleased to have mild weather for a change. Then the weather turned cold...then my heating broke down...for the second time in a month...

"Oh well", I thought, "at least I know what to do this time". I have loads of electric heaters for just this eventuality, and my lovely wood-burning stove, so I set them all going and tried to keep the cold at bay. Only trouble was that this cursed house has eccentric wiring and apparently has only a 30A main fuse so...when I switched on my cooker as well...the fuse blew, melted the wire and sent noxious fumes swirling through the house. So, it's minus 5C outside and I have no central heating and now no electricity either - oh joy!

I was very fortunate to get an emergency repair done (eventually) on the fuse, through my very helpful insurers, so I now have power back but of course I can't put all the heaters on at once, so the house is EXTREMELY cold. The heating man is coming today so it might be fixed by nightfall but in the meantime I am in eskimo layers and wishing I lived in Australia.

Mind you, it is a sparkling day out there and if I can get my brain working I'll go and take some pictures to share with you. In the meantime though, please send me warm thoughts - every little helps!

6 comments:

Robert said...

Sorry to learn about your heating (or, rather, lack of heating) issues. Hopefully they'll be short-lived!

I also hope that you had a good Xmas despite the CH problems, and that 2009 is a good year for you. And for Human Rights.

Best wishes.

azahar said...

Well, I would send you warm thoughts, but I am bundled up in bed under the duvet, wearing gloves and a scarf... how about a snibble?

Puddock said...

Snibbles and good wishes gratefully received!

Overnight, the pipes (and who can blame them?) began to freeze so I am giving up and moving in with a friend until the heating is fixed. Thank goodness for real friends!

Reasonable Robinson said...

cue whisky!

Puddock said...

Cheers rr! :)

The heating is now fixed. My nice plumber found that the filter out at the oil tank was blocked with gungy bits and that was what was causing the problem. So, with fingers crossed and in a whisper, I can say that the heating is working and the house is slowly warming up. I still have a frozen pipe but I'll just have to wait for it to thaw and hope it hasn't burst.

I am absolutely knackered with it all and my good friend is insisting I stay the night with her and her family, so I am looking forward to a giggle, a glass of whisky and a good night's sleep.

Hope you are all coping with the cold better than I am!

Selma said...

Oh, you poor thing. There is nothing worse than being in a freezing house dressed like an eskimo. So glad you are getting the chance to stay with a friend and thaw out. Sending you warm hugs and a nice warm wind from down under. XXX