Wednesday, 3 December 2008

Not All Bad

Hi all!

I have grumbled at length about living in the country, with its isolation, lack of coffee houses and, recently, the perils of its single track roads. But there are compensations...



This is the woodland track that lies just up the hill from me. On a day like this, I don't hate the place quite so much! The old dog and I usually stick to the roads but I couldn't resist striking out along this path yesterday when I saw that no-one else had walked that way since the snow had fallen. The snow lay soft and inviting and we both took pleasure from laying down our foot and paw prints. Leaving tracks in the snow is almost as much fun as stamping through the leaves in autumn - it's one of the few occasions when you can behave like a child without attracting stares.



And this is the view as we walked back, our pioneer tracks before us. My little dog has dementia but she loves her daily walks and it was joyous to see her bouncing through the snow like a young thing.

Days like this bring out the best in country living - true, I was housebound - not wanting to risk the hired car in the snow - but how lucky I felt to be walking completely alone in the woods with my dog. Looks like it'll be the same today. It's cold and dry. No more snow but the roads are still not clear and the new cautious me won't be going anywhere until they are. So it'll be another walk up the hill in the light and the chill air, and maybe we'll go left instead of right and hope that no-one's been that way either, and we'll stamp our little mark on some more of the land, and the balance will swing back to staying on here...

2 comments:

..... said...

I LOVE the snow. But we hardly ever see any, here. It makes everything not just pretty, but QUIET, too, doesn't it?

Selma said...

Definitely not all bad with scenery like that. I would feel quite at home there. So glad your dog got to bounce along like a young thing.