Wednesday, 31 December 2008

And On It Goes...

Well, another day, another catastrophe, and another day of the kindness of friends and family.

After spending the night at my friend's, I came back to the house this morning to see how things were. Thank goodness I had turned off the water before I left last night. The pipe had thawed and when I did turn the water back on, the heavens opened, which is a bit disconcerting when it's happening inside the house. I turned the water back off sharpish, so luckily not too much damage was done but I am afraid that my stoicism gave way at this point and I crumpled.

I called the plumber and the insurance people then called my son and burst into tears.

Now, as it's getting dark, things are much better. The plumber (may his name be praised) came out this afternoon and has isolated the pipe so that at least I can use water elsewhere in the house. He'll come back and fix it properly in the New Year. My power has been declared safe to switch back on and I have access (hurray) to the internet again.

Having said all that, I am going back to my friend's house again to spend another night, just to get away from this bloody house. Which means that I will be bringing in the New Year away from home for the first time - that got me crying again. But I am grateful for the friends I have and I am trying to count my blessings.

Part of me wants to spend not another night under this roof and I may just put it up for sale in January and rent somewhere until I know what I want to do. It sounds like an over-reaction and maybe it is, but this house has worn me down and I have had enough. New Year, new life maybe.

Happy Hogmanay and Happy New Year to you all!

9 comments:

PG said...

Ohhh...horrid. :( I don't blame you for wanting out, there comes a point (and I am at it with our rented cottage) when you fall out of love with somewhere when it has growled at you too often. I hope the new year brings better things and a friendlier home.

azahar said...

What a disaster! I'm sure once you are back home and everything is normalish once again you'll be able to make the decision that's best for you, whatever that may be.

*hugs*

Puddock said...

Gretel- that is such a good way of describing how I feel about the house - that it has growled at me once too often. I'm sorry you have a similarly ferocious and unpredictable house. Let's hope 2009 brings us both either a better relationship or a new one...

Az - I am home now and tiptoeing around for fear of making something else break. I've got the heating on, the internet is working and I've put clothes on to wash and so far all is calm. Don't breathe too loud though, in case the beast growls again!

Hugs and happiness to you both,

azahar said...

Both of me?

By the way, it's STILL your turn at scrabble...

Puddock said...

Haha azahar - if you like. But I meant you and PG - the other esteemed blogger who commented.

Sorry about scrabble - forgot all about the game in the excitement of the last few days. I'll get right on to it :)

archiearchive said...

Finally getting around to visit people to wish them a happy new year. YIKES!!! Is the only reaction possible.

They (whoever "They" are) say that bad luck comes in threes and I think you have had your three bits of bad luck now.

So may the New Year be happier and more peaceful than the ending of the old year.

Puddock said...

Thanks Archie - that YIKES! means a lot to me. A lot of people in the real world seemed to think that it was no big thing so it's nice to get a resounding reaction like that - makes me feel I'm not whining!

I too am hoping that that is my three things, though I thought the same in November when my heating broke down (different cause), my son had to have stitches in his hand and I was in a road accident...

However, the house is lovely and warm again and I am feeling much chirpier - happy new year to you and yours over there in Oz!

Income from Ads said...

I had a plumbing problem over the festive season as well - a plumber had promised to remove a hot water tank and fit a new central heating boiler before Christmas. Sure he was true to his word - he arrived Christmas eve and was working on it until 7:30 that evening. I didn't know whether to throttle him or kill him. There's othing worse than home disasters!

Selma said...

Things like that can be so stressful. I can't blame you for wanting to sell up. I hope things have settled down over the past few days and that you have a happy 2009. You deserve it.