Thursday, 5 June 2008

Life Photo Meme - Honour an Invertebrate!



Dorid has nominated this week Honour an Invertebrate in her Life Photo Meme.
I am thrilled about this as it gives me the chance to post one of my favourite photos - of a Great Black Slug delicately nibbling a mushroom:



I took this picture a few years ago. I saw from the window this black creature getting stuck into a mushroom and rushed out with my camera, thinking it must be a vole or a shrew. I didn't know at that point either that slugs could be so big (and handsome!) or that they eat fungi. In fact, if you see holes in a toadstool in the garden or out on a walk, it is most likely that it was a slug that did the eating, and not a little furry mouse.

After watching this guy for ages, slugs became a favourite of mine. This one in particular is so beautifully marked. It reminds me of Durer's Rhinoceros, with its armour plating effect - see the pic full size to see the detail.

5 comments:

Dorid said...

He's a cutie. I've never taken a close look at slugs before... except the salt water variety!

(oh, sorry about being late today... the post is up now on the meme site!)

And thanks for joining.

Coffeecup said...

What's the saying about slugs? If they're brown grind 'em down, big and black, put 'em back! Not a fan of slugs myself but have to say that one was kinda sweet munching on the mushroom. Fab photo!

archiearchive said...

Hmmm - sauted in garlic butter and served with a fresh bread roll - The Mushroom, of course!

(I'm afraid I am too much of a gardener to be a conservationist when it comes to slugs and snails)

Kevin Zelnio said...

Slugs are vicious murdering machines and cause volcanic eruptions!

Puddock said...

It's a long time since I've seen such speciesist rantings! Apart from munching the odd cabbage leaf, what have slugs ever done to you lot? Ticks, midges, mosquitoes - now there are some real villains that actually hurt humans. Leave the slugs alone!