Monday, 7 April 2008

Vonnegut on Life (Monday's Bit of Wisdom)

Monday's Bit of Wisdom this week comes courtesy of Kurt Vonnegut, from his book A Man Without a Country:
"I turned eighty-two on November 11, 2004. What's it like to be this old? I can't parallel park worth a damn anymore, so please don't watch while I try to do it. And gravity has become a lot less friendly and manageable than it used to be.

When you get to my age, if you get to my age, and if you have reproduced, you will find yourselves asking your own children, who are themselves middle-aged, "What is life all about?" I have seven kids, three of them orphaned nephews.

I put my big question about life to my son the pediatrician. Dr Vonnegut said this to his doddering old dad: "Father, we are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is."


I concur.

3 comments:

Intergalactic Hussy said...

Great quote! Thanks. :)

JennyB said...

Yep, whatever "this thing is", we are here to get through it, one way or another.

reasonable robinson said...

I meant to reply to this earlier. I got introduced to KV by my neighbour Baz the Taxman just a couple of years ago!! I have collected a few of his quotes - a favourite of mine comes from Breakfast of Champions.

"kago did not know that human beings could as easily be felled a single idea as cholera or bubonic plague. there was no immunity to cuckoo ideas. Because they were bad: ideas on Earth were badges of friendship or emnity. Their content didn't matter. Friends agreed with friends in order to express friendship. Enemies disagreed with enemies in order to express emnity.