Tuesday, 29 April 2008

A Quick (And Late) Bit of Wisdom

Hmmm... don't know what happened yesterday to my Monday Bit of Wisdom. Without further excuse, here is a short, and late, thought to ponder on, courtesy of Jean-Paul Sartre:
"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."

I quite like the defiance in that. Not mad keen on Sartre generally - much prefer the humanity of Albert Camus - but this is a good one.

And, seeing as how I was late with this one, here's another for free:
"Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance."


That's much more like the jolly old Sartre I've come to know and avoid - what a happy thought at the start of the week...

2 comments:

JennyB said...

I think I'll avoid Sartre too... not my style or view on life.

Puddock said...

Hi Jenny - yes, he's a bit dark, isn't he? I much prefer the humanity of Camus.