Saturday, 8 March 2008

Speechless...again

I'm beginning to wonder what is the point of highlighting these infringements of our personal freedom. It seems the more we complain, the worse it actually gets. One finds oneself coming out with spluttering cliches - "George Orwell wouldn't believe it." "Was this what we fought two world wars for?" - you know the kind of impotent fury one feels welling up whenever the latest story appears in the press.

But thanks anyway to Boing Boing for posting Heathrow Terminal 5 to fingerprint DOMESTIC passengers.

I have already declared that I am not going to step on any plane that requires me to take my shoes off to be checked for explosives (mind you, I don't have a life to speak of so the question of getting on a plane hardly arises) so it's easy for me to pretend these things are happening. But how far are we going to let this go?

Do we just have to let it run its course, knowing that the pendulum will swing back when some tipping point (to mix my metaphors) is reached? I fear so.

1 comment:

Reasonable Robinson said...

I think you've put your finger on it!