Tuesday, 11 September 2007

September 11th

Reasonable Robinson posted this - another of his perceptive comments today. His post linked up with something I saw last night and I thought it would make an interesting contrast.

Fahrenheit 9/11 was on the telly last night and, having never seen it, I thought it was time I saw it. It was a better programme than I expected. It is clearly a polemic but even taking that into account I found it interesting and, at least in part, persuasive and with the ring of truth.

I don't want to get all political here so I'll just focus on that contrast I was talking about. One of the most intelligent things Moore did was, gently and politely, to offer Congressmen the opportunity to sign up their children for the Forces so that they too could serve their country on the front line in Iraq and Afghanistan. At first I thought - "don't be so crass. That's a really cheap hit". But when I thought about it, it seemed to me the most memorable and well-made point in the whole film and, indeed, an excellent rule-of-thumb that every President, Prime Minister, politician and voter could follow:

"Is this cause so important to me, my family, my country or the world that I would encourage my son or daughter to fight on the front line?"



How many wars would still be fought if people followed that thought? RR's observation of the scene in Al Qaida's HQ, with the bloke in the big chair, is the other side of the same coin - people in power gulling the young and/or the poor into dying when he has no intention of putting himself or his own in harm's way

3 comments:

Dorid said...

I have to agree 100%. It's always easier to sacrifice OTHER people's children for a shakey cause.

fishwithoutbicycle said...

It so distasteful isn't it!! I'm a British woman living in NY and was here on 9/11. I was fortunate to be out of harm's way, as were my friends and their families, but the events of that day affected me enormously. It makes me more empathetic to what innocent people in war torn countries face on an ongoing basis.

Homar Murillo said...

Indeed, the politics of war is always about the causes of the leaders. The soldiers are just mere pawns in the grand chess game of ideologies and beliefs.

The righteousness or justification of a cause is always subjective and cultural. Religious convictions only fuel divisiveness. Although my country, the Philippines, is very far from the US, my country has been affected in many ways because of the 9/11 terrorist attack on the US. It gave the Americans the justification to imposed (although subtly) their self-righteous agenda onto small and weak countries like the Philippines.

However, nothing could be more unjust than what Iraq had suffered on the wake of the 9/11 attack. The so-called war on terrorism is like tying to kill a mosquito using cannon.