Tuesday, 7 August 2007

Happiness is...being an existentialist?

I was browsing the internet, as you do on a cold August afternoon, and came across this definition and quote on a t-shirt:
"Existentialist: optimistic nihilist - just because we're all doomed, doesn't mean we can't have a good time." See it here at the Cafepress site -
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/moredetails.aspx?showBleed=false&ProductNo=76345833&colorNo=6&pr=F

I reckon that's as good a definition of the kind of atheist/existentialist/nihilist I feel myself to be. Once you've realised that life stinks:
http://theviewfromthepond.blogspot.com/2007/08/death-disbelief-and-spiders.html
you only have two choices (well, three if you count killing yourself) - spend the rest of your miserable life complaining about how miserable it is or laugh in the face of this absurd existence and determine to enjoy yourself to the max. I chose the latter and now I call myself, if anyone asks, a happy atheist. But optimistic nihilist is perhaps even better.

No comments: